Ghosts are souls who have left their physical body at what we call “death” but have not completely crossed over to the “other side” into the light. They have not gone onto the next level, the light, heaven, whatever you choose to call it. They remain behind, here on earth, and they account for many ghost sightings and haunted places.
Earthbound spirits, commonly known as ghosts, are deceased souls who remain attached to the earthly realm after dying. When the body expires, the spirit of a person usually moves into the astral realm (via their astral body) to begin a new existence. This astral dimension is very close to our own. Some call it heaven. Sadly, there are spirits who do not fully cross into the light of the astral realm immediately upon death. These spirits are commonly referred to as “Earthbound Spirits”.
Earthbound spirits are souls who either consciously decide not to cross over, are not aware they have died, or are so traumatized by the death experience, they literally cannot see the light. Earthbound spirits are bound to an isolated existence. They continue conscious awareness in their own little world and often linger in earthly locals where they once felt the most comfort and safety. They often have an agenda. You might encounter these spirits in a home, a place of business, or even wandering around a property. In other cases, spirits might inhabit a space somewhere in our reality but are not consciously aware of where that is and are not tied to a specific place.
There are spirits who don’t know they are dead. As hard as it is for us to understand this, it does happen. These spirits can be benign or very angry because they are confused.
Again, failing to make the normal transition at death can happen for any number of reasons. The death could be sudden and traumatic causing confusion, the spirit exists in a dazed twilight condition, or might even feel rage at being robbed of life. Other reasons could include fear of how they will be treated on the other side, emotional attachments to those left behind, massive guilt, or unfinished business. There are even those who stay for the sake of curiosity or revenge. Some cannot bear to be separated from family members or are worried about a particular family member–such as a spouse left behind. Many earthbound spirits are not aware or choose to ignore guides and loved ones from the other side who have come to escort them across the veil (another term for entering the astral plane). They instead, elect to continue on as before with their emotions and attitudes unchanged.
Will We Become an Earthbound Spirit?
Most of us will automatically make the transition to the plane of existence which best aligns with our soul’s frequency. This is determined by our nature and what is in our heart at the time of passing–particularly our spiritual awareness and level of compassion. Some of us may require varying degrees of help and adjustment when we move into the Spirit (or astral) realm due to difficult circumstances experienced in life.
The fact is, most of us make the crossing completely. Even people with no religious or deep spiritual backgrounds cross over easily.
Are Earthbound Spirits Stuck Forever?
Because spirits are outside of our space-time continuum, their incorporeal state of existence could go on for hundreds of years by earth’s clock. Usually spirits of this type have been presented with many opportunities, by other spirits or loved ones, to move on to a much better place. They often refuse to acknowledge any attempts for help. They spurn any advances by other to assist them in escaping their dark world. Over time, regardless of their stubbornness or inability to be aware of their trapped condition, these souls will someday move out of the darkness and into the light of the astral world. We here on earth cannot determine when that will be but rest assured it will eventually happen.
A number of different problems can keep a spirit earthbound:
- Unresolved grief of a loved one. When a loved one such as a parent, a child, or a sibling dies and a person is not able to accept the loss, the unresolved grief of the survivor seems to make an energetic pull on the deceased that prevents the spirit from fully moving into the next world.
- Strong negative feelings at the moment of death. When a person dies in a state of terror, anger, or rage, these feelings are like lead bags holding down a hot air balloon that should rise. They seem to chain the spirit to the gravitational field of the earth. For example, civilians who are killed in wars often have very strong negative feelings, because soldiers are only supposed to kill other soldiers, not civilians.
- Guilt can also be a reason for a spirit being stuck here. They may feel like they have left the family or loved ones too soon and uncared for. This is also the main reason why suicide victims and other spirits whose death was caused by their actions (alcoholics, drug overdose, etc) remain behind. They feel guilty over taking their life or contributing to their death.
- Not knowing what to expect. People with no spiritual training may not know what to expect at the moment of death. They may think consciousness will end, as if the lights went out and they ceased to exist. The spirit never dies, and after it leaves the physical body, one still has feelings and can hear and see everything. Athiests may think that they are still alive and not notice that the body they are in is not their own. Being dead is so much like being alive that many people die without realizing their condition.
- Confusion or disorientation at the moment of death. Other factors that may contribute to a person not realizing what is happening when everyone stops talking to them are situations that impair cognitive brain functions: head trauma such as a car accident, Alzheimer’s, or drug stupor at the moment of death either from a drug overdose or from opiates given to ease the pain of the final stage of terminal illness. Please note that most people who die make the transition into the next world just fine. Not everyone who dies from one of the situations listed above becomes earthbound—just a few.
- Accidents. One of the big changes within today’s society is that death can sometimes come almost instantly through vehicle accidents. In times past there was often a chance for an individual to prepare for their passing, either through knowing that this might happen in battle or when contracting an illness and then having time to process the transition period. Heart attacks are slightly different in that the unconscious mind will always know that this is going to occur and, in these cases, some form of unconscious preparation takes place. This is why individuals who have heart attacks will sometimes experience a ‘near death experience’ or NDE. The car accident though is something different for in these cases almost no chance is given to the spirit to prepare before they are catapulted out of their bodies often in a state of complete confusion. This is made even worse when the body is blown apart through explosions and those suicide bombers who reek such vengeance cause immense suffering to the Souls of those that they kill and in turn heap considerable karma upon themselves.
- Fear of punishment. When people have done things they know are wrong, they may turn away from the Light because they fear they will be sent to a place of punishment. People who have been raised in strict religious traditions often believe that God is an angry God who will punish them for all of their sins. The Catholic Church has taught that after death, the soul goes into purgatory, a place of fire, where one’s sins are burned away to purify the soul before it is ready to go into heaven. Sometimes people are so afraid they will go into purgatory or hell that they refuse to budge and stay earthbound.
- Unfinished business. Spirits can stay earthbound because of unresolved interpersonal issues. Once the situation is resolved, they are at peace and can cross into the Light.
- Attachment to material possessions. Some people become so attached to their material possessions that they do not want to leave them when they die. Real estate agents know that sometimes the deceased former owner of a house has not vacated the premises and is still “living” in what that person considers his or her home. The new occupants may hear footsteps and noises, and lights may go on and off—all signs of poltergeist activity.
- Murder and Suicides. Both murders and suicides can cause spirits to become trapped close to the ‘earth’ plane. In the former case it is often anger that ties the spirit to where they were killed and in the latter the realisation that despite taking their own lives they are still conscious and aware but without any sense of how to get out of their situation. Such spirits can attach themselves to individuals who are passing or will sometimes seek out old friends.
- Addictions. The final grouping relates to those individuals who have strong physical addictions, generally to drugs or alcohol. In such cases at the death of the physical body, experience of the narcotic is so powerful that these Souls seek out those who are similarly addicted, in order to have a form of vicarious experience through a fellow sufferer. This is why addicts need a lot of help on many levels to assist them breaking their habit. Freeing any attachments is an important part of the healing process.
SYMPTOMS OF HAVING AN EARTHBOUND SPIRIT ATTACHMENT
How would you know if you had an earthbound spirit attachment? The following symptoms are clues, but Soul Detectives use muscle testing to determine whether or not someone else has invaded one’s energy field:
- Constant Fatigue. Feeling drained of energy is the primary symptom. While alive, we get energy from the food we eat, the air we breathe, and the electromagnetic field of the earth. People without bodies cannot eat or drink, so they have no way to get their own energy. They need to plug in to someone else’s energy, which drains the host. The situation is somewhat like a vampire who steals energy from other people. An analogy is that a living person with an earthbound spirit attachment is riding a bicycle up a hill and carrying a hitchhiker on the back of the bike who has no pedals to help push!
- Cold Chill. Earthbound spirits drain energy, also called “chi,” from the spaces they occupy. When entering a room where an earthbound spirit resides, one may feel a cold chill that penetrates right to the bones. Also, the hair on the back of the neck may stand up—a very uneasy, unsafe feeling. When I am with someone with an earthbound spirit attachment, I notice that my hands feel cold and even with turning up the heat, I still feel chilled.
- Not Feeling Like Yourself. When someone else has invaded your energy field, you may notice that something is wrong, as if someone else’s thoughts are in your head. The statement “I don’t feel like myself” is a clue to check whether or not you have picked up a spirit attachment.
- Exacerbated Grief. Following someone’s death, one member of the family may have a sudden downward turn in their emotional functioning and become very confused and depressed. The earthbound spirit of the deceased may have attached to this person, who is now experiencing the feelings of the earthbound spirit. People often become very confused when they die and people stop talking with them and act like they do not exist anymore. They may get very depressed, not knowing what to do next, and these feelings imprint onto the person to whom they attach.
What does an entity want?
An entity retains one or two unresolved desires or obsessions which it “tries to satisfy in a repetitive and rigid way” by attaching to a person who shares these desires. The entity wants emotional intensity and/or sensual enjoyment, so it creates desires/cravings in the host that vicariously satisfy it. Some of these desires are for:
• Alcohol, drugs, tobacco, chocolate, sweets, junk food.
• Unresolved emotional states like anger, hate, depression, fear.
• Sex, gambling, playing the drums.
• A pet project like inventing a free energy device or cleaning up the environment.
• Political power and fame.
• Feeling cared for and nurtured.
Who will an entity attach to?
• Someone who likes what it likes.
• A close relative, friend, or someone it loves.
• Someone of weak character.
• An emotionally vulnerable person.
How does an entity enter or attach to the body?
There is a protective shield between our etheric and astral bodies. When this shield is damaged, torn open or temporarily collapsed, an entity can enter and attach to the body. How can this protective shield become damaged?
• Any great emotional shock can create an explosion in the astral body that rips the shield open: terrible grief, fright, rage, panic, terror, etc.
• Heavy use of alcohol, drugs, or tobacco.
• Incomplete, forced, or misguided meditation practices.
What are the high-risk conditions for attracting an entity?
Repeated, extreme behaviors open you to entity possession. These include:
• Abusing or being addicted to alcohol, drugs (including marijuana), or tobacco. A word of caution: You are unlikely to attract an entity if you enjoy a beer or glass of wine occasionally. But even relatively light and regular use of alcohol, drugs, or tobacco can create small tears in your protective shield.
• Hanging out in seedy bars.
• Excessive use of painkillers and sleeping pills, esp. in combination with alcohol or drugs.
• Engaging in promiscuous sex, having multiple sex partners, visiting brothels or massage parlors, creating or viewing pornography.
• Continuous fantasizing about an intensely desired partner.
• Being sexually abused.
• Gambling and frequenting casinos.
• Attending mass gatherings where emotions are stirred to a high pitch, especially when drugs are involved: fundamentalist religious services, sports events, rock concerts, rave parties, or political rallies.
• Watching films, TV programs, newscasts, etc. or playing video or computer games that stir up strong emotions; violent war games can be especially harmful.
• Listening to loud, angry music (heavy metal, hip-hop), especially for babies and children.
• Being in a violent, abusive family. The abuser may be entity possessed; the abused children, spouse, or other relatives are very likely feeling terror and panic.
• Situations where there is mass death and the survivors are terrified, grief stricken, in shock, and/or near the dead; etheric/astral bodies or shells may be arising from the dead, so the living are open to entity possession:
• Natural disasters like earthquakes, hurricanes, typhoons, tornadoes, volcanic eruptions, floods, tsunamis.
• Manmade situations like war, fires, plane, train, or ship wrecks.
• Battlefields: etheric/astral bodies or shells arising from dead soldiers may be feeling intense fear, hate, and/or violent destructiveness; they may possess survivors, and cause or contribute to the flashbacks, post traumatic stress disorders, and/or violent rampages that plague war veterans on the battlefield and when they return home.
• Car, bike, motorcycle, or boat accidents; if there are fatalities, etheric/astrals may arise and attach to fellow passengers who are traumatized or injured.
• Severe illness when the body and immune system are depleted, especially when there is great loss of fluids or blood.
• Chronic illness that depletes the energy level.
• Undergoing intensive medical procedures that induce fright, especially in children.
• Receiving electric shock or insulin shock treatments, sometimes used on patients in mental hospitals.
• Surgery: a general anesthetic stupefies the patient’s defense system; the body incision creates an opening for an entity to enter.
• Severe Alzheimer’s: a clairvoyant person can see that in some cases the soul has vacated the patient, and other entities have taken over, often not just one entity but several.
• Relatives of advanced Alzheimer’s patients may catch astral fragments broken off from the patient; perhaps “part of the astral body’s shattering, which ordinarily takes place after death, happens while the patient is still alive.
• Relatives of schizophrenic patients may also catch astral fragments from the patient; perhaps “the disintegration of the personality which takes place in the more advanced stages of schizophrenia is accompanied by (or perhaps due to) a premature shattering of the astral body.”
• Exhausting the body by overwork, not eating properly, not getting enough sleep.
• Inviting an entity in; a lonely child may do this and then the entity stays.
• Children are at high risk because they can be more easily traumatized than adults…a large growling dog, being accidentally closed in a closet.
• Death of a beloved person.
• High stress alone or added to any of the conditions above will increase the possibility of attracting an entity.
• An individual with psychic abilities may attract entities from higher astral sub-planes as spirit guides; these guides speak and teach through the psychic. Generally these messages are not of the highest quality, and may lead the psychic and others off track.
• Entities like fleshy inner cavities, so a woman’s reproductive area is ideal; an area of high energy associated with sex, it serves the residual desires of entities for sex.
A fetus weakened while in the womb, may be vulnerable to entity possession later in life:
• Ideally a fetus is basking in the light of its mother’s love and happiness. However, if the woman does not want the baby, and is stressed, angry, or resentful of it, the fetus is living in the woman’s energetic darkness, which is breaking down its defense systems.
• If a pregnant woman is living with an abusive partner she’s traumatized, so is the fetus; an entity can enter the mother and harm the fetus.
• If a pregnant woman is regularly smoking, taking alcohol or drugs (including some prescription drugs), these substances can cross through the placenta into the fetus; often the baby will be addicted at birth, and vulnerable to addiction later in life.
Why does a host sometimes encourage possession?
• The pleasure of both host and entity when engaging in their common desire is magnified; both thrill to sensual enjoyment or harsh emotions.
• The entity keeps the host company, becoming a way to deal with loneliness; this is especially common when an entity has been invited in by a lonely child and becomes a companion for life.
• The entity satisfies the need to care for someone. This may be especially true for a woman who has had a miscarriage or abortion; the yearning of the woman for a child may attract an entity into her womb.
The host must examine and take responsibility for the ways s/he is contributing to entity possession